CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Memaws Thimble

I warn you guys.....I am feeling a little sentimental today.....okay, a lot sentimental. Anyone who knows me will admit to the fact that I am a pack rat. A sentimental pack rat that is......but if you ask my friend Mindy she would probably disagree :o} she would probably say that I am the typical run of the mill PACK RAT!

Anyway, My Memaw lost her battle with cancer around mother's Day in 1998. Just about a month before my sweet Kayla was born. Being that I love to sew and most of my childhood memories of Memaw revolve around her sewing, I inherited her sewing machine. With this sewing machine came a stool with a storage bin underneath it. It's where my Memaw kept her sewing things. Over the past few years, I have packed and packed and packed in thread, material scraps, patterns, etc. I have not ever taken the time to clean it out and organize it until today. I opened it up and dumped the contents out onto the floor. At the bottom of the pile I found this:


My Memaw's thimble....I had been through this bin a hundred times before....how did I not see it? I started to cry....uncontrollably, in fact. I miss her so much. I remember sitting on the couch beside her as she wore that thimble and talked and talked and talked. It was kind of funny, she would be talking as I was walking out the door and still be talking when I came back in. She always had advice on everything....and would tell you what it was whether you wanted to hear it or not. :) No matter what the problem was, if she said it was going to be ok, it was. If she could fix it, she would and if she couldn't, she prayed until God fixed it. If I could go back to before she was sick, I would sit for hours and hours and just listen to her words of wisdom. I would ask her opinion on marriage, family, friends and...well, everything. She knew it all. Mind you, I know she wasn't perfect, but she was close.
She loved the Lord with all of her heart and it showed through her actions, words and even in her eyes. All she had to do was to look at you and you knew that you were loved beyond measure.
My Memaw left a legacy of love with her family. Not only her love, but the love of the Father. Oh to be more like her......
She is probably running the streets of gold giving those Angels a piece of her mind right now. I can just hear her....
I did warn you......I promise it will be a while before I organize the cedar chest.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I understand your feelings about your memaw. I was very close to my Grandma Bishop. I was her 1st grandchild and boy did everyone know it. She died when I was 15 in her sleep and she was only 57. I still to this day think of her often and how I wish she could have met John(she really would have liked him) and my kids. She also loved the Lord and sounds alot like your grandmother with all that advice giving. She gave me alot of things, alot of my personality is like hers and my hips(this one I'm gonna have a talk with her about we I see her again.)One day I know I will see her again and that is comforting. Gee, thanks Tracy now I'm all emotional.

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs)))

Amanda said...

Oh, I was right there with you this week, going through my Omie's things with my mom. She went to be with the Lord last May, and my mom was finally ready to go through her clothing. So much of it still smelled like her...