CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

~Sewing Accidents~

I have been sewing A LOT the last few days..these two are
my newest pillowcase dresses...

This one is my best seller...I have a zebra print that is quickly
catching up with it...but I think I like the ploka dots the best.


I have been sewing for a looong time. I have been poked by pins,
stabbed myself with needles and I can't count on all ten fingers
and toes how many times I've dropped a needle and
stepped on it ;o}

I admit that I may have been in a little bit of a hurry...
...but yesterday I did something I HAVE NEVER done before!

I HIT MY FINGER!
For some reason the safety didn't kick in and stop the machine..
It went through my nail, bent and then broke off leaving a piece of
needle over 1/3 inch long stuck inside the tip of my finger~which
really isn't that long...I admit...but it might as well have been a nail
as bad as it was hurting...and I have a high pain tolerance...I
would never have imagined that would've hurt as bad as it did.

I couldn't even see it...it was all inside my finger! After
searching every where for the tip of the needle, I decided to look 
in my finger & that's when I noticed something silver just
under the skin on the side.

My hubby (who is so very squimish when it comes to blood) came
to my rescue. He pulled it out with a pair of nail clippers. Which was
very painful...He had to pull it out by the tip and since the
needle gets bigger from tip to top it was like he was trying
to pull a 2 x 4 out. ;o} I cried like a baby...I think I even
begged him to stop a few times...

Looking back, it's kind of funny...Picture me sitting on the bathroom
sink with tears streaming down my face (it really hurt!) while hubby is
standing over me all broke out in a sweat trying to pull it out. I
can't believe he did it! He can't stand to see others in pain and he
usually runs the other direction when something happens ;o}

Seriously~He passed out when I was in labor with our
first~not once~but TWICE! Once during the epidural and again
when they asked him to cut the cord ;o}

But this time~He was truly my knight in shining armor!
Thank you Hunny!

I didn't get any during pictues~It's hard to remember to take
pictures when you are in excruiating pain....but here is a picture
of the needle tip lying ontop of my nail...just to show you how
far it was in. It's not a good picture, but you can see a scratch just
behind the needle where it broke through my nail.


Today my finger is a little sore..and pretty much only hurts
if you touch it. So, not much sewing for me today ;o}

11 comments:

Jen said...

Yikes! I'm terrified of having this happen. You're the third person I know that this has happened to within a couple months.

Feel better! And your dresses are super cute :)

twin power mommy ♥ said...

OH
MY
GOSH!!!!

I am not squeemish and i had a tough time reading that!

Holy MOLEY!!!

Well at least you have some bragging rights that you survived a sewing needle going into your finger.

You know the ancient Chinese torture used to be shoving bamboo shoots up the finger nails of their detainees...talk about PAIN!

Courtney said...

OUCH! Just hearing about that again makes MY finger hurt. I've never hurt myself with a needle before--I don't think--but I did jab my thumb right onto a scalpel(not sure how to spell that). It didn't hurt that bad, tho. lol!

Hilary said...

Oh man!!! Glad your finger survived!!! The dresses are SOOOO precious too ;)

Christian said...

I have shivers up my spine! OUCH! I honestly didn't think it was possible to get your finger under the needle, now I have a whole new fear to contend with! Glad you survived, and glad hubby was so brave!

SmilinJ said...

OUCH!!! Man oh man!!! It hurt reading it. I stepped on a needle once and it broke off in my foot, had to got to the hospital to remove it. :(

Courtney said...

Like your new background! And I sooooo want a shirt that says, "I see misguided individuals."

I did eat a few of those potatoes. Haha! Ethan and Erick kept sayin' they would be good....I ended up biting into a few until I found one that was actually cooked in the center. The rest went into the fire. :-)

Susan said...

Oh girl, I am squirming like crazy! Hope you heal quickly and don't do that again!!

SAYDA said...

Oh friend! I was hurting when I read this post. I am so sorry.

Keep soaking it in warm salt water. The orthopedic surgeon I use to work for always use to tell his patients to put a drop of dish washing soap in a bath to soak it and to prevent infection. Ouch!

The dresses are beautiful on the other hand.

Becka said...

Have you ever looked at something & your bones began to hurt ??
Thats what mine are doing now!!
Im so sorry for you, I hope it has gotten better by the day,
becareful honey !

Sandy said...

Be careful.. Your dresses you are making are so cute.
Wish we could see you all before we leave. Planing on leaving first week of April. Love ya