Imagine with me for a second....
How do you think it would affect you if your father tried to kill you?
No, contrary to popular opinion - I haven't lost my mind....
I was thinking about it the other day while teaching about the story of
No, contrary to popular opinion - I haven't lost my mind....
I was thinking about it the other day while teaching about the story of
Abraham and Isaac in children's church.
Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son, even though, I am sure it didn't
make much sense to him. We always think about the faith it took for
Abraham to be willing to sacrifice his son, but what about the faith it took
for Isaac to be willing to be that sacrifice?
Notice, he didn't try to run away. He didn't rebel against being placed on the
altar. I think that just as Abraham trusted God when the Lord told
him to sacrifice his son, Isaac not only trusted God but he also
trusted his own father Abraham. That's quite a big thing and in
the end, it was a trust well founded....because just before
the knife fell on Isaac....
~ God stopped it. ~
Some people may call that blind faith....but I would say there
~ God stopped it. ~
Some people may call that blind faith....but I would say there
was nothing blind about it....they both trusted the greatness and power
of God and simply believed that His promises were true ~they had faith.
Abraham trusted that God knew what he was doing and his job was to obey.
Their trust was not in vain.
Don't you think that incident was important to the rest of Isaac's life?
Don't you think that incident was important to the rest of Isaac's life?
It wasn't God's way of playing a cruel joke on Isaac....or just seeing
how far he could push Abraham....
Through it, God's promises were passed down through
generations.
Even though we may not realize it, there is a portion of faith inside
Even though we may not realize it, there is a portion of faith inside
each of us - enough to prepare us to believe and trust.
In my case - small things, I didn't notice at the time were
influencing me to look up to God....to trust him more....
Many different things have played a part and God's hand was
tending my "measure" of faith for when I really needed it....
Maybe for now.....during this time of sickness with my father....
maybe for those times when I am doubting my faith.....maybe for later....
I don't know.....but I do know that if you are called on to
trust God in a big way, expect a BIG outcome.
4 comments:
You step right up on the "pulpit" and preach it my sister!! Woo-hoo I am shouting on my side of the computer screen as I read this.
Our God is so big and just when we think He is big, He goes and gets even bigger on us!
I have heard one other person view the account of Abraham and Isaac that way... from the standpoint of Isaac having great faith also. I couldn't imagine being the child lead to the altar... I know that if it were myself I would've said you are crazy I am out of here. I know that kind of faith... not from being placed on a literal altar, but from placing all of my many trials and "mountains" on the altar. I am so thankful that the Lord has seen me to be strong enough to face many "mountains". I will continue to pray for the mountain that is in your life right now with you fathers health. The Lord will strengthen you through this trial. Watch out for all the blessings HE is going to pour out over you in these next couple of months.
Amen...I love when those faith builders are so evident and I treasure when the trials come and I can look back and recognize other times God was working on my faith knowing I would be needing it. I love how already God is wrapping Himself around you and encouraging you with His Word. He is so good!
That's such a crazy story.
I can not even imagine having to trust God in a circumstance like that.
I think that kind of faith is what we should all strive for. I have great faith in my Lord, but to THAT extent?...
Gosh...
Post a Comment